PLANNERS NORTH was engaged by Reside Living @ Ballina Pty Ltd to provide town planning advice with respect to the preparation and lodgement of a Development Application with Ballina Shire Council in regard to the “Sundowner Motel” site, corner of River and Kerr Streets, 274 River Street Ballina.
The site contained the old Sundowner motel comprising 26 guest rooms, a restaurant/ function centre and managers residence.
The proposed for which development consent was obtained involved the demolition of the existing motel and restaurant, and the erection of a mixed use development comprising:
- Commercial Tenancies (Business and Retail Premises) at Ground Level facing River Street and the Richmond River;
- A Restaurant at Ground Level facing the Richmond River;
- 34 Residential Apartments located on Levels Two to Six;
- Two Levels of Car Parking and Site; and
- The Dedication of Land for Foreshore Public Access, involving the Construction of a Public Walkway.
The proposed building was designed to address the prominent intersection of Kerr and River Streets whilst preserving a landmark Norfolk Island Pine. The proposed building is contemporary in design and utilises a variety of materials including vertical fixed screens, glass louvres, adjustable shutters and public art work. The proposal provides for a dedicated public boardwalk along the south-western, southern and south-eastern boundaries of the site.
Client: Reside Living @ Ballina Pty Ltd